Sunday 12 February 2012

Technicolor Cinestyle LUT curve

At the start of the year I shot a music video using Technicolor's Cinestyle loaded into a Canon 7D. I graded the video myself in Apple Color using the S-curve display LUT provided by Technicolor here. Instead of using the LUT as a display LUT, I rendered the grade with the LUT applied. The theory is that passing Cinestyle material through this LUT gives you a pretty standard DSLR-like image, but playing with the information in the image upstream of the LUT unlocks more shadow and highlight detail than you could gain access to without shooting Cinestyle. I did this by using the primary out curves.

It did slightly bug me not knowing what the LUT was doing exactly so I took the liberty of extracting the info from the LUT and plotting it myself. I hope it is of help to some.

PS By those alarmed by the 'DR theft' debate, it is unfounded, and you can read why here.

No comments:

Post a Comment